The Critical Thinker is the bimonthly newsletter of United States Atheists. Through it, we keep members informed of USA events and projects. A printed copy is mailed to everyone on the USA mailing list. Anyone may download recent issues in .pdf file format at the link at the bottom of this page. All members of USA are invited to submit articles, opinion pieces, letters, cartoons, photos or other original materials to be considered for publication. Please see the submission guidelines below for details.
ownload the Critical Thinker
You may download recent issues of the Critical Thinker for online review or to print out for later perusal. You’ll need the Acrobat Reader software from Adobe. It’s free and is available for Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Sun, Palm OS, Pocket PC and other platforms.
October/November/December 2005 Publication
July/August/September 2005 Publication
April/May/June 2005 Publication
Jan – March 2005 Publication
November/December 2004 Publication
September/October 2004 Publication
July/August 2004 Publication
May/June 2004 Publication
March/April 2004 Publication
January/February 2004 Publication
November/December 2003 Publication
September/October 2003 Publication
July/August 2003 Publication
May/June 2003 Publication
Download the free Adobe Acrobat Reader(if this link doesn’t work, try www.acrobat.com).
Request a Copy of the Critical Thinker
While recent issues of the Critical Thinker are available for immediate download below, you may request a printed copy of the latest issue via e-mail, phone, or mail. Send your request to one of the following:
- E-mail: [email protected]
- Phone: 503-ATHEIST (284-3478)
- United States Atheists
6514 SE Foster Rd
Portland, OR 97206-4659
Please remember to clearly state your name and mailing address. United States Atheists is an all-volunteer organization, so it may take a few weeks before you receive a copy.
Critical Thinker Submission Guidelines
Please follow these guidelines when submitting items for publication in the Critical Thinker:
- Submissions must be original material created by you. Don’t send copyrighted news stories, articles or photos.
- Submit a byline for articles or credit for photos or graphics (how you want your name to appear in print).
- Include a way for readers to contact you, preferably an e-mail address.
- Provide your full name, e-mail address, mailing address, telephone and (if you have it) fax number with all submissions. This information may be used by the editor or staff to contact you, and will not be published (other than your name and e-mail address).
- All submissions are subject to editing for length and content.
- By submitting materials, you grant us permission to edit as we see fit and to publish them.
- Any submissions may be used by United States Atheists for other purposes, such as inclusion on our Web site or promotional materials.
- No compensation is offered for submitting or publishing materials.
- Materials won’t be returned, so please keep your originals and send only copies.
- Text: Send as Microsoft Word or plain text files. Also paste a copy of the text in the body of your e-mail (if you don’t have Word, just paste the text in your e-mail). You may mail text to us on CD-ROM or 3.5″ diskette (Windows or Mac OS), and please include a hard copy printout with your submission.
- Photos: The preferred file format is .tif (TIFF). You may also send .jpg (JPEG) or Photoshop .psd (PSD) files. Physical photos may be mailed to us.
- Graphic Images: The preferred file formats are .eps (EPS) or Adobe Illustrator .ai (AI), with any type converted to outline. Other acceptable formats include .tif (TIFF), Photoshop .psd (PSD), .gif (GIF), or .png (PNG). Physical images should be scannable and 8.5″ x 11″ or smaller.
- Send submissions to:Mail to:
United States Atheists
6514 SE Foster Rd.
Portland, OR 97206-4659
Critical Thinker Publication Schedule & Deadlines
|January / February||December 15||Late December or early January|
|March / April||February 15||Late February or early March|
|May / June||April 15||Late April or early May|
|July / August||June 15||Late June or early July|
|September / October||August 15||Late August or early September|
|November / December||October 15||Late October or early November|